PTA offers all parents and caregivers the opportunity to be engaged in their child’s potential. Being a member of PTA means that you are part of a powerful association and action plan that is focused on programs and initiatives that strengthen each child’s education and the family school partnership. We invite you to join PTA for your child and each child because increasing our membership, even by one, makes it possible to provide important educational resources, speak up on important issues and create a stronger school community.
By joining the PTA, you help us meet our school’s needs that are outside the scope of their budget. You also get great discounts, locally and nationally. If you choose (not required!) to go a step further and volunteer to help with events—or join our board— you set a fine example for our students to follow, and greatly encourage our students, teachers and staff.
Frequently Asked Questions about PTA:
Where does my money go when I pay membership dues or donate?
PTA membership dues support each student by funding essential educational and curriculum needs including advocating on behalf of children and educators at the local, state and national levels; and building an inclusive school community for all families. Please visit our PTA Accomplishments page for an extensive list of the support PTA has provided in the previous years.`
Does PTA Membership require volunteering or attending meetings?
No! Anything you would like to give is appreciated but not required, whether it’s time, money or simply showing your support by being a member will support your and every other child’s potential.
How much time do I have to commit to being a member of PTA?
None! Membership in PTA is an easy way to show your support for your child, their fellow students, teachers, staff, administration and families in our community. There is no obligation or pressure to volunteer or give time or money.
Isn’t PTA a social club or fundraising group for stay-at-home moms?
No! First and foremost, PTA is for every family who has a child at the school. PTA Is for moms, dads, caregivers, grandparents, teachers, staff, administration and the broader community!
While some of the work done by PTA may appear social – including family events like Zumba, Intercultural Cafe or the Spring Social – much of PTA’s work focuses on identifying what students, families and teachers feel are our community’s greatest needs then working to fund those essential school resources and curriculum needs, as well as advocating at the local, state and national levels, impacting decisions affecting each child’s health, safety and quality of education.
How does PTA ensure it represents every child and family at the school?
We encourage every family in the school to become a PTA member to support the success of their child. We want a diverse membership base that reflects all of the families and needs of students at the school. PTA strengthens connections between your family, your child’s classmates and their families and teachers to build a thriving and inclusive community for everyone.
McKinley PTA Invites YOU to Join the PTA Today!!
McKinley PTA community welcomes and encourages leadership, volunteerism and membership from ALL of our families. PTA is for EVERYONE involved in our school including Parents, Caregivers, Grandparents, Teachers, Staff and the broader community.
Our goal is to have 100% participation by October 8th, one week after Jog-A-Thon!
Membership is $10 per person. You may sign up one family member or student for $10 or add a membership for each family member for an additional $10 per person. We are an inclusive community and value participation from all families. No one will be turned away due to a lack of funds!
Questions? Please contact our Membership Coordinator, Staci Stern at McKPTAVP@gmail.com
Want More Encouragement to Join?
- Benefit Your Child. In doing so, you also help your school.
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Tap Into A Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. It gives you a forum to discuss/share ideas, concerns and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause – your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes.
- Be A Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
- Be A Part Of Something Bigger. The PTA plays an important role in generating much-needed funds for a number of critical requirements including providing building improvements, social events and curriculum-based programs. Become a Member!
If I join, do I have to?
- Go to meetings?
No. You are welcome to attend our general meetings. Only members may vote.
- Volunteer or spend a lot of time at school?
Nope! Joining the PTA is not the same as volunteering. If you choose to volunteer we would LOVE the help—but volunteering is not required.